Change Starts Internally
In this episode, Harry Schmidt, director of business strategy for O’Shea Builders, brings up a book titled The 5,000 Year Leap: A Miracle that Changed the World, which is about how framers built The Constitution of the United States. Hoots compares this to the CDC’s socio-ecological model on how to prevent disease spread. Both concepts are compared to how the construction industry develops individual, team, organizational, and industry capabilities.
To change the outcomes, you must change yourself, look at yourself first, and get your own house in order:
- Mother Theresa said, “If you want to change the world, go home and love your family!”
- Patrick Lencioni’s ideal team player gets to this point as well in much of his text.
There are some great one liners to consider in this episode:
- It is human nature to want to matter.
- The culture is defined as the worst behavior that a leader is willing to accept.
- What’s right over who’s right!
- You teach what you accept!
- Hungry, humble, smart approach.
Listen in on this free-ranging chat on how to develop capabilities for yourself and your team.
ABOUT HOOTS ON THE GROUND PODCAST:
The Lean Builder’s absolutely, positively NO bullshido podcast. Join Host Adam Hoots and his guests as they dig deep into the topics that are relevant to those of us who “get it”: the men and women with the dirty boots, the ones who work in the field, doing the hands-on business of construction each day. Listen in as we keep it real while stories from the trenches are shared along with lessons learned and some laughter along the way.
RESOURCE LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- theleanbuilder.com | Our main blog, book, resources, news & events website
- https://www.amazon.com/5000-Year-Leap-Cleon-Skousen/dp/0880801484 | The 5,000 Year Leap
- https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Socio-ecological-model-framework-for-prevention-centers-for-disease-control-Available_fig1_318840832 | Socioecological model
GUESTS FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Adam Hoots | linkedin.com/in/adam-hoots-4645519/ | podcast host for “Hoots on the Ground” and Lean Construction Shepherd with ConstructionACHEsolutions
- Harry Schmidt | https://www.linkedin.com/in/harry-schmidt/ | director of business strategy, O’Shea Builders
- BOSCH RefinemySite | bosch-refinemysite.us