In this episode, Hoots discusses one of his favorite topics: Capability development! How many times on project sites have you heard, I don’t care how you get it done, just get it done! This completely misses out on the point of innovation and improving on what we are doing.
With too much emphasis on productivity and not enough on capability development, the construction industry doesn’t take advantage of compound knowledge!
In this episode you’ll learn more about what the word capability means and how important it is to align on exactly what the meaning is. We also uncover what are the different levels or layers of capability development which starts with the focus on the individual, then proceeds to a team level, followed by the organization and industry levels.
We will also learn about the different stages of mastery too!
Finally, Hoots on the Ground teases some ways to develop capabilities which will be discussed in future episodes. Those include:
- Pause & Reflect
- Comfort Zone
- The Art of Questioning
- Radical Candor Feedback
- Push Form, Pull Content
- Culture – Yes Jen Lacy, Culture!
You want to listen to this episode to better understand how to extract knowledge from the workforce to drive innovation on your project! You will learn that being intentional about developing capabilities will allow you to develop more capabilities and ultimately be more productive!!
Challenge question: What is your capability? And how do you develop it?
ABOUT HOOTS ON THE GROUND PODCAST:
The Lean Builder’s absolutely, positively NO bullshido podcast. Join Host Adam Hoots and his guests as they dig deep into the topics that are relevant to those of us who “get it”: the men and women with the dirty boots, the ones who work in the field, doing the hands-on business of construction each day. Listen in as we keep it real while stories from the trenches are shared along with lessons learned and some laughter along the way.
RESOURCE LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- theleanbuilder.com | Our main blog, book, resources, news & events website
- Link for Charles Duhig Work:
- Power of Habit https://www.amazon.com/Power-Habit-What-Life-Business-ebook/dp/B0055PGUYU/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2NL21PBDTJ9YQ&keywords=power+of+habit&qid=1661450342&s=digital-text&sprefix=power+ofhabit%2Cdigital-text%2C96&sr=1-1
- Smarter Faster Better https://www.amazon.com/Smarter-Faster-Better-Transformative-Productivity-ebook/dp/B00Z3FRYB0
- https://www.linkedin.com/in/dean-reed-9261681/ | Dean Reed LinkedIn
- https://www.linkedin.com/in/carla-ciepliski-1608603/ | Carla Ciepliski LinkedIn
- https://www.linkedin.com/in/halmacomber/ | Hal Macomber LinkedIn
GUESTS FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Adam Hoots | linkedin.com/in/adam-hoots-4645519/ | podcast host for “Hoots on the Ground” and Lean Construction Shepherd with ConstructionACHEsolutions
- BOSCH RefinemySite | bosch-refinemysite.us