If you don’t know Kabri Lehrman-Schmid, Mental Health Awareness in Construction is a must watch episode! Even if you do know Kabri, you will learn and have a deepened respect for everything that she is doing to create safe learning environments on her project sites. The extracurricular activities that she gets into, will inspire you to take another look at what you’re doing to create safe spaces!
Now a lead superintendent amid a preconstruction effort for a university project in the state of Washington, Kabri has nearly $2B worth of construction experience. Most of her time has been spent in higher education and aviation sectors. A true builder in every sense of the word, Kabri goes above and beyond in her ability to deliver complex phased projects. Learn how her ability to connect with people personally, has led to her discovering how to apply psychologically safe environments.
People matter in Kabri’s world. In this episode, Kabri takes us through how she creates safe environments. She provides a step-by-step guide on how to develop a psychologically safe environment. She then takes it a step further to help ‘The Lean Builder Nation’ understand how creating psychologically safe environments allow us to start having new conversations about mental health!
Kabri talks about the beautiful Northwest and Beaver Lake. Her family enjoys the great outdoors and her boys love exploring the lake on their new kayaks! Tune in as Kabri explains the how to and the why trust is so important in what we do each day from a Boots on the Ground perspective! Here are a few excerpts of some amazing quotes that Kabri delivers in this episode! “It’s not about being liked!” “It’s about taking advantage of the collective knowledge!” “Connecting a level deeper than what it typically expected on a project site!”
Kabri also talks about Arcade Wayfinding’s Foreman training program and how that is driving new leadership skills to those who are being promoted based on their technical abilities. Helping new Foreman understand how to lead, read drawings, develop emotional intelligence, etc.
ABOUT HOOTS ON THE GROUND PODCAST:
The Lean Builder’s absolutely, positively NO bullshido podcast. Join Host Adam Hoots and his guests as they dig deep into the topics that are relevant to those of us who “get it”: the men and women with the dirty boots, the ones who work in the field, doing the hands-on business of construction each day. Listen in as we keep it real while stories from the trenches are shared along with lessons learned and some laughter along the way.
RESOURCE LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- theleanbuilder.com | Our main blog, book, resources, news & events website
- linkedin.com/company/the-lean-builder | Our LinkedIn community
- https://www.constructionexec.com/article/a-superintendents-case-for-a-psychologically-safe-jobsite | Kabri article on Psychological Safety
- https://viewer.joomag.com/ht-magazine-1-issue/0097956001611261273/p14?short& | Kabri article on Psychological Safety
- https://www.arcadewayfinding.com/services/foreman-basic/ | Arcade Wayfinding’s Foreman Basic Training Program
- https://preventconstructionsuicide.com/ | Many industry-specific suicide prevention resources at CIASP:
GUESTS FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Adam Hoots | linkedin.com/in/adam-hoots-4645519/ | podcast host for “Hoots on the Ground” and Lean Construction Shepherd with ConstructionACHEsolutions
- Kabri Lehrman-Schmid | https://www.linkedin.com/in/kabri-lehrman-schmid/
- BOSCH RefinemySite | bosch-refinemysite.us