**Disclaimer** The viewer of this podcast has promised to watch the Hoots on the Ground podcasts #8 and #12 on trust. Without having listened to those episodes, you will not be able to hold people to accountability in construction.
Hoots goes on a tangent on the word accountability. Tune in to discover how you can develop a deeper sense of accountability on your project sites. There are two ways to hold people accountable: Leading up to and event and/or lagging after and event.
Accountability is the result of poor leadership.
This podcast does a quick review on Jocko Willink’s book Extreme Ownership. Learning how to balance Extreme Ownership and decentralized command. Extreme Ownership as described by Jocko is having the mindset that everything happens for you. Overcoming your challenges and being able to make a difference in the world in spite of all circumstances that you may comes across.
How to Improve Accountability in Construction
Here are a few things that we can do on project sites to improve accountability:
- Build Trust
- Think above the line (Oz Principles)
- Make clear and concise commitments
- Say and hear the word no
- Use the accountability meter
- Ask leading questions
- Understand the two sides of accountability
- Radical Candor Feedback
Learn how to utilize the accountability meter in this episode of The Lean Builder Hoots on the Ground! Accountability and leadership start internally and bleed outwards. Teams must build trust and utilize the process first mentality. What can I as a leader do different to obtain a different outcome?
There are no bad teams out there, only bad leaders!
ABOUT HOOTS ON THE GROUND PODCAST:
The Lean Builder’s absolutely, positively NO bullshido podcast. Join Host Adam Hoots and his guests as they dig deep into the topics that are relevant to those of us who “get it”: the men and women with the dirty boots, the ones who work in the field, doing the hands-on business of construction each day. Listen in as we keep it real while stories from the trenches are shared along with lessons learned and some laughter along the way.
RESOURCE LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- theleanbuilder.com | Our main blog, book, resources, news & events website
- linkedin.com/company/the-lean-builder | Our LinkedIn community
- https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Ownership-U-S-Navy-SEALs/dp/1250067057 | Extreme Ownership by Jock Willink
- https://www.amazon.com/Oz-Principle-Smart-Audio/dp/1598596144 | The Oz Principle by Roger Connors, Tom Smith and Craig Hickman
GUESTS FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Adam Hoots | linkedin.com/in/adam-hoots-4645519/ | podcast host for “Hoots on the Ground” and Lean Construction Shepherd with ConstructionACHEsolutions