Lean’s Value, Vulnerability, Productivity, Mindset, & More
In this episode, host Adam Hoots chats with Jason Schroeder, owner, trainer, author, and podcast host for Elevate Construction. They discuss Lean’s value, vulnerability, productivity, mindset, and more. As Jason says: On we go….
Some quick show points:
- Watch Jason go #FULLGRANDMA mode on CPM Schedule!
- Hoots’ wedding song is discussed randomly by Jason!
- Jason breaks down his definition of what Lean is.
- How does Jason drive productivity? How does he get so much done?
- Derek Kirkland with DPR gets a shout out as Jason discussed his approach to work/life blend and balance.
- Would you rather be weak and growing, or strong and stagnant?
The duo chat about Lean’s value and concur that: That’s just what Lean Builders do. It’s about humility, being professional, no drama, driving jobs. It’s delivering high performing buildings in the most efficient way possible with respect for people. The Lean Builder community is about redefining what the word Lean means. It’s centered around people and who we are first. We will elevate ourselves and bring up everyone else with us, and we will learn from the people around us and elevate us and them.
In sharing his background, Jason notes he could be called a “snowflake” – sensitive and fragile and unique. Being vulnerable creates trust and connection and it’s different for the construction industry and for this former superintendent. He focuses each day to stay centered on his core values to help the people, the workers, and the families in the industry. He’s an only child who loves people and by design has 11 children – his treasures – with his wife and business partner, Katie.
Adam and Jason discuss why Jason gives away so much information for free – from resource guides and templates to podcasts and other content. It’s a philosophical decision that information should be free. It’s about caring for people and helping them get the results they want to achieve. Getting content out creates a ripple effect that can drive change in our industry.
Now, the application of that information may cost some money (i.e., hiring his team in to help implement and consult). Jason notes though that he focuses more on getting the work done than the money. It’s the same with his clients as no client has come in saying, “I want to make more money.” They want a better environment for their people and to change the industry. The output leads to better processes, efficiency, productivity, profit, etc.
For Jason Lean is about blessing people and families in the industry. Now, his definition of bullshido – any kind of Lean or operational excellence strategy that doesn’t center around people.
Jason is fanatical about personal organization and laser focused. He shares some life hacks on how he does it all. He also acknowledges that because he’s mission focused, that he also works his butt off as just a natural part of his lifestyle. And he’s a natural at finding ways to leverage his time and create synergies. If he’s writing a book, he’ll focus podcast episodes on chapter topics and transcribe to jump start the writing.
Adam gets him to share some pearls of wisdom for those just entering the industry as well. It’s about progress and trying and learning. It’s not a promise that everything will always be easy or rosy, but we have the power to rise to the occasion and life a remarkable life. Our mindset is a huge factor for our success.
Jason’s motto is “on we go” — even if we slow down, we are going forward. There is always tomorrow to try again and improve. Our work is dedicated to the future.
We invite you to take a listen and learn – because that’s just what Lean builders do.
ABOUT HOOTS ON THE GROUND PODCAST:
The Lean Builder’s absolutely, positively NO bullshido podcast. Join Host Adam Hoots and his guests as they dig deep into the topics that are relevant to those of us who “get it”: the men and women with the dirty boots, the ones who work in the field, doing the hands-on business of construction each day. Listen in as we keep it real while stories from the trenches are shared along with lessons learned and some laughter along the way.
RESOURCE LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- theleanbuilder.com | Our main blog, book, resources, news & events website
- linkedin.com/company/the-lean-builder | Our LinkedIn community
- garyvaynerchuk.com | Gary Vaynerchuk
- tonyrobbins.com | Tony Robbins
GUESTS FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Adam Hoots | linkedin.com/in/adam-hoots-4645519/ | podcast host for “Hoots on the Ground” and Lean Construction Shepherd with ConstructionACHEsolutions
- Jason Schroeder | https://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonschroederelevatingconstruction/ | owner/trainer of Elevate Construction, leanTakt, and leanSurvey | author and podcast host for Elevate Construction
- BOSCH RefinemySite | bosch-refinemysite.us