In this episode, Hoots and Key review one of the many principles in Jason Schroeder’s book Elevating Construction Superintendents. This principle is on personal organization and time management. Time management is an oxymoron. You cannot manage time; you can only manage yourself within the time that has been allotted. Time will go on with or without you!
You have to plan your week in order to maximize production! You cannot come into the office on Monday morning and start reading through email first thing! In addition, you must have a good note taking process! There are too many commitments made in meetings for one to remember.
Keyan references a book called ‘Eat That Frog!” This comes from the Mark Twain saying that says ‘If you eat a frog first thing every morning, that is likely the worst thing that’ll happen to you all day!
Are your people aware of what is urgent and important or are they prioritizing their tasks based on the seniority of the person giving them the task? Have you started time blocking and/or time boxing?! If not, you must read Jason’s book on how to make sure you’re blocking out the right things and then timing yourself as you’re completing these tasks.
ABOUT HOOTS ON THE GROUND PODCAST:
The Lean Builder’s absolutely, positively NO bullshido podcast. Join Host Adam Hoots and his guests as they dig deep into the topics that are relevant to those of us who “get it”: the men and women with the dirty boots, the ones who work in the field, doing the hands-on business of construction each day. Listen in as we keep it real while stories from the trenches are shared along with lessons learned and some laughter along the way.
RESOURCE LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- theleanbuilder.com | Our main blog, book, resources, news & events website
- elevateconstructionist.com | Elevating Construction website
- https://www.amazon.com/Elevating-Construction-Superintendents-Principle-Leadership/dp/B08VJJZN8B/ref=sr_1_1?crid=27FXKMVZIR5N9&keywords=elevating+construction+superintendents&qid=1658850123&sprefix=elevating+construction%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-1 | Elevating Construction Superintendents Book
- https://youtu.be/SqGRnlXplx0 | Fill the Jar YouTube video
- https://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonschroederelevatingconstruction/ | Jason Schroeder LinkedIn
- https://www.amazon.com/Eat-That-Frog-Important-Things/dp/1444765426/ref=asc_df_1444765426/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343221129243&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9392580069778750366&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010653&hvtargid=pla-524984779320&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=67797265863&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343221129243&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9392580069778750366&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010653&hvtargid=pla-524984779320 | Eat That Frog!
GUESTS FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Adam Hoots | linkedin.com/in/adam-hoots-4645519/ | podcast host for “Hoots on the Ground” and Lean Construction Shepherd with ConstructionACHEsolutions
- Keyan Zandy | https://www.linkedin.com/in/keyanzandy/
- BOSCH RefinemySite | bosch-refinemysite.us