Episode 2: A Solo Trail Walk with Adam Hoots
In this episode, host Adam Hoots takes listeners on a trail walk – yep, he’s walking in the woods and chatting with you – as he shares the idea, approach, and goals for The Lean Builder’s new podcast, “Hoots on the Ground.”
This podcast is all about respecting the workers, respecting the people, and keeping it real. We’re here to learn and engage together. The focus is on delivering a practical message that let’s us all go to our job sites and improve for our team, trade partners, and clients. It’s time to bring it and be better when we open the job gates tomorrow and every day after.
Adam shares how often people have misused or misconstrued the “L” word (aka Lean). He notes that really, we need to just add in the letter “r” to turn it to Learn as that’s all we are doing. Lean is learning how to do things better, faster, and stronger for both buildings AND people.
Our industry has a problem. We’re losing trade workers every day. It’s a combination of lack of respect for the skilled trades and potentially a lack of self-respect to push for better work/life balance. Our industry needs to focus on how to develop others; how to really connect with others; how to transfer the knowledge of our skilled trade workers, how to give and receive feedback on our jobs.
As much as building is about plumbing and steel, it’s equally about the people, the trades, the colleagues doing the work. Adam shares a saying they had at an employer: “it’s boots up before we boot up.” Meaning that we’ve got to walk the field (see the people doing the work) before we turn on our computer.
At the start of 2022, we have some 1 million open jobs in the construction industry and a $1 trillion infrastructure package coming down. It’s time to make changes and return the pride to our careers, field, and work. It’s time to make things happen, as we’ve all got work to do and don’t have time for bullshido.
Adam’s goal with the podcast is find great builders and mine their minds, if you will, to find out how they create processes, self-organize, drive innovation, and bring everyone together. It’s a time to dig into what inspires them and how they motivate others, build trust, hold folks accountable, and deliver results.
It’s not always easy. As Adam says, when you feel uncomfortable, you learn and grow. And, just as important, sometimes you’ve just got to take a moment to pause, reflect, and celebrate.
And, just as we need feedback on our job sites, Adam wants your feedback on this podcast. We’re asking you to shoot straight and be real. Listen in and let us know what you think.
We invite you to join Adam on this trail walk episode.
ABOUT HOOTS ON THE GROUND PODCAST:
The Lean Builder’s absolutely, positively NO bullshido podcast. Join Host Adam Hoots and his guests as they dig deep into the topics that are relevant to those of us who “get it”: the men and women with the dirty boots, the ones who work in the field, doing the hands-on business of construction each day. Listen in as we keep it real while stories from the trenches are shared along with lessons learned and some laughter along the way.
RESOURCE LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- theleanbuilder.com | Our main blog, book, resources, news & events website
- linkedin.com/company/the-lean-builder | Our LinkedIn community
- theleanbuilder.com/category/daily-huddle | Blogs on how to run a daily huddle
- theleanbuilder.com/category/visual-communication/ | Blogs on how to use visuals
- bringbackthetrades.org | non-profit providing scholarships for trade school students
- skilledtradesalliance.net | industry association to create a workforce pipeline for trades
- linkedin.com/in/daviethomson/ | LinkedIn articles on the “no bullshido” concept
- learningsandmissteps.com | Jessee Hernandez’ podcast
- eosworldwide.com/traction-book | Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business by Gino Wickman
- eoswoldwide.com/vto | the Vision/Traction Organizer tool
- tablegroup.com/product/dysfunctions/ | The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni
GUESTS FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Adam Hoots | linkedin.com/in/adam-hoots-4645519/ | podcast host for “Hoots on the Ground” and Lean Construction Shepherd with ConstructionACHEsolutions