In this episode, Hoots reviews the blog done by Keyan Zandy about the Firefighter Arsonist. Why does our industry reward early morning, late nights, and weekends?! This stops today! We must no longer celebrate this bad behavior!
In the blog, Keyan suggests the following items as a way to improve the construction industry:
• Reward good planning!
• Stop celebrating long hours
• Establish processes and training
Time is the only resource that we cannot get more of! If you want to better understand the difference between busy and productive, this is the podcast for you! Hoots discusses The Lean Builder’s version of the ‘Eisenhower Matrix’ in a graphic that explains the differences between firefighting, planning, delegating, and eliminating. He challenges each Lean Builder to track their tasks for a day and categorize each into one of these four quadrants.
Think deep. Are you creating the same fires that are consuming your time every day? Where do you spend most of your time!? Do you enable other people on the project to be the heroes!? Or do you try to be the hero?
ABOUT HOOTS ON THE GROUND PODCAST:
The Lean Builder’s absolutely, positively NO bullshido podcast. Join Host Adam Hoots and his guests as they dig deep into the topics that are relevant to those of us who “get it”: the men and women with the dirty boots, the ones who work in the field, doing the hands-on business of construction each day. Listen in as we keep it real while stories from the trenches are shared along with lessons learned and some laughter along the way.
RESOURCE LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
• theleanbuilder.com | Our main blog, book, resources, news & events website
• www.linkedin.com/company/the-lean-builder | Our LinkedIn community
• https://theleanbuilder.com/problem-solving-firefighter-or-arsonist/ | Firefighter Arsonist Blog
GUESTS FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE:
• Adam Hoots | www.linkedin.com/in/adam-hoots-4645519/ | podcast host for “Hoots on the Ground” and Lean Construction Shepherd with ConstructionACHEsolutions
• Paul Dunlop | https://www.linkedin.com/in/dunlopconsultants/
• BOSCH RefinemySite | www.bosch-refinemysite.us