In this episode on suicide prevention in construction, Brian Winningham shares a poem that he wrote about life in the construction industry titled Temporary Fence Panels. In the poem, Brian captures perfectly what it’s like to work on a construction project site. Before you know it, the day is gone and you haven’t even started your own personal work. Staying until late in the night, and then you realize a problem on the job site that you must solve before you can go home!
Suicide Prevention in Construction
The OG Lean Builder, Buddy Brumley, shares his own experience of working in the construction industry for a long time without succumbing to heart attacks, alcoholism, substance abuse, or divorce. This is seen as an anomaly, with the other speakers referring to him as a “unicorn.” Buddy’s story highlights the importance of self-care in a high-stress industry like construction, where many individuals may struggle with mental health issues and unhealthy coping mechanisms.
Buddy discusses the challenges of finding time for self-care, particularly when work consumes a significant amount of time and energy. He admits to not having any hobbies and using his time off to recharge for the next week. However, he recognizes the need to hold himself accountable and make time for self-care, even if it means learning new ways of managing his schedule. The speakers also acknowledge the role of support from others in encouraging and reminding individuals to prioritize self-care.
Overall, the episode emphasizes the significance of self-care in reducing stress levels and improving overall well-being. It highlights the challenges faced in prioritizing self-care in a demanding industry like construction, but also emphasizes the benefits that can be gained from making self-care a priority.
ABOUT HOOTS ON THE GROUND PODCAST:
The Lean Builder’s absolutely, positively NO Bullshido podcast. Join Host Adam Hoots and his guests as they dig deep into the topics that are relevant to those of us who “get it”: the men and women with the dirty boots, the ones who work in the field, doing the hands-on business of construction each day. Listen in as we keep it real while stories from the trenches are shared along with lessons learned and some laughter along the way.
RESOURCE LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- theleanbuilder.com | Our main blog, book, resources, news & events website
- National Suicide Prevention Line = 988 (Call or text!)
- Temporary Fence Panels (rangerwinnie.com)
GUESTS FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Adam Hoots | linkedin.com/in/adam-hoots-4645519/ | podcast host for “Hoots on the Ground” and Lean Construction Shepherd with ConstructionACHEsolutions
- Brian Winningham | https://www.linkedin.com/in/fielddrivenlean/ | Owner of Field Driven Lean and Author of Ranger Winnie
- Julie Dolan | https://www.linkedin.com/in/juliedolan/ | Core Team Member with LCI Ohio Valley CoP and Lean Practice Leader with SSOE Group
- Buddy Brumley | https://www.linkedin.com/in/buddy-brumley-704b1454/ | Senior Superintendent with Skiles Group
- BOSCH RefinemySite | bosch-refinemysite.us