During this episode, Character Development, Mack Story dives into exactly who he is and where he came from! Hoots talks about all the amazing content that Mack puts out daily with his company, Blue Collar Leadership.
Mack talks about his wife, Ria, and mentions her story, which you can see in her TEDx Talk linked below. He discusses how he and Ria got started with their speaking and consulting careers. He talks about his love for her and how strong that is and where it came from. Mak also dives into how all his problems were caused by himself!
He tells about his son, Eric, who hated Mack from age 15 – 19. Mack then found this leadership information from a John Maxwell conference. Then by modeling what Maxwell teaches, he was able to repair and rebuild that relationship with his son. Further, he takes us down his journey of giving up alcohol and profanity back in 2012. Mack references Stephen Covey’s book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and how it changed his entire life! Between stimulus and response, there is a choice.
Mack gets Hoots to open up on some of the problems that he is facing at home! Mack’s personal stories allow him to self-reflect and discover some of the next steps that he can take to work on his patience. Tune in to find out more about how to develop patience both at work and/or at home. Cheat code: Don’t forget to grab your pause button!
Mack claims that everything he talks about is Character Development. Character is the ability to meet the demands of reality! Mack is a wealth of knowledge and gives that knowledge out to others constantly. He enjoys talking with people and making a difference in blue-collar workers’ lives!
This is an absolute cannot-miss episode with Mack. His one-liners are fantastic, and you will be inspired to a better life after allowing this episode to settle in. As Mack says, “You can’t climb the mountain with base camp Character.”
ABOUT HOOTS ON THE GROUND PODCAST:
The Lean Builder’s absolutely, positively NO Bullshido podcast. Join Host Adam Hoots and his guests as they dig deep into the topics that are relevant to those of us who “get it”: the men and women with the dirty boots, the ones who work in the field, doing the hands-on business of construction each day. Listen in as we keep it real while stories from the trenches are shared along with lessons learned and some laughter along the way.
RESOURCE LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- theleanbuilder.com | Our main blog, book, resources, news & events website
- https://bluecollarleadership.com/ | Mack & Ria Story’s company
- https://youtu.be/7953w5yQ1uo?si=DCvyOV6Xg90OZjfF | Ria Story’s TEDx Talk “Bridges Out of the Past: A Survivor’s Lessons on Resilience”
- https://www.maxwellleadership.com/ | John Maxwell Leadership Training
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
GUESTS FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Adam Hoots | linkedin.com/in/adam-hoots-4645519/ | podcast host for “Hoots on the Ground” and Lean Construction Shepherd with ConstructionACHEsolutions
- Mack Story | https://www.linkedin.com/in/mackstory/ | Developing the Blue-Collar Workforce and those who lead them.®│Author of 15 Books│Leadership Speaker│Trainer